Thursday, September 9, 2010

Modal

I recently bought a yummy, soft silver-gray dress. It was on sale 1/2 price so I snatched it up. I assumed it was a cotton blend and didn't look at the content label until I got it home. It is 100% Modal. Having seen this material more recently but being unfamiliar I looked it up. Turns out modal is a fabric much like rayon (often considered a type of rayon) only it is made exclusively from beech tree cellulose. It is bio-based as it comes from natural materials, however the drawback is that modal is heavily processed using chemicals so it is not considered a natural fabric.

Modal, like my yummy dress, is soft and silky, drapes well and takes dyes nicely. It also has less shrinkage than other rayon and cotton. Who knew trees gave us so much. I love my dress but feel a little guilty that a tree was the cost of looking good.
Theresa, OmMama

1 comment:

Mike McLaren said...

Ha. And all this time I thought modal was just a particular way top play a musical scale.