Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Build-a-Buddha

If you look at my etsy site you will see completed shrines. A friend recently commented that when she first looked the shrines she thought they were imports (horrors!) then realized that they must take some time and asked me how long. I really don't keep track of how much time they take or I may not want to make any more.

I put my sewing machine in its case this week because I knew the shrines would take awhile. I imagine my little Featherweight in there crying in the dark.

To make my shrines, I start with an ordinary cardboard box, preferably one that is being reused/recycled. The best boxes are beer cases! If the cardboard is too thick it is difficult to cut, too thin causes the shrine to cave in. To make the "big Buddha" shrine, I have to cut 18 peices with a template, then tape them all together.

Next, I cover everything with newsprint paper and a "secret" glue formula, completely sealing the shrine After it dries, I get to think about the design and colors. Up to this point it takes about a million hours. Check back later to see how I finish up a shrine.
Theresa, OmMama

1 comment:

OmMama and KraftyKatina said...

Ha ha...shrines. They look amazing when they come out. I'm glad I get to look at my little pink one with the elephant while I sew in my craft corner. And not to mention my fabulous Ganesh one by the boob tube!! You make amazing shrines mum!
Cerise : )