Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sock Mates

I have this wonderful twisted grey alpaca/merino wool blend yarn that I got at my LYS (local yarn shop) a while back and I finally decided to try it out last Wednesday while listening to Dale's band at a bar in Clairemont Mesa. Though I have two unfinished sweaters to finalize, some knee socks for Dale that are taking a while, and a Christmas present sock mate I need to re-knit for Mom since USPS likes to make packages disappear, I felt it was time to start another pair of socks. I used my classic go-to sock pattern from Knitting for Dummies and started in on the first sock. I fell in love with the yarn as soon as I started. I have been knitting with synthetics that split and don't feel that nice running through my hand so this was a delicious change in texture and quality. It was quit fun to sit and knit in the bar while listening to horrible open mic music before the headliner, a.k.a. Dale's band. I even started a little craft corner with a kindergarten teacher there to see the band. I stopped when it was heel flap time and when picked up the knitting the next day I decided to use my upcycled orange wool J. Crew sweater yarn for the heel and toe so I could get two socks out of one skein. After the first sock was done, Dale decided he really liked it and since I have two skeins of my wonderful Ecolana yarn we thought we might need to have matching pairs of warm, stylish socks. I finished sock two of four tonight. Sock one is on my foot, sock two is on Dale's foot.

I am a third of the way done with sock three. I love how quickly the yarn knits up. I found some of the same yarn on sale for $5 at my LYS today (along with some mustard and neptune Louet Merino Gems sock yarn) and I'm tempted to get the rest of what they have in the beautiful grey and white color. Until next time,
Happy Crafting!
Cerise : )

4 comments:

Kyoko said...

Nice yarn! I love knitting with Alpaca yarn. Last time, I spun it myself. When I knitted with it, my hand was constantly kept warm and I really love it.
Oh, I must really start knitting some Christmas items before too late!
Thank you for the inspiration :D

Dale said...

WOW! Those are some nice socks!

Michelle Koury said...

nice and warm, just in time for summer :)

OmMama and KraftyKatina said...

Nice sockies. I will be happy to have a pair instead of one. Someday that package will get found!
P.S. I need banana slugs for tourist season!!