Sunday, March 29, 2009

More on Fabrics:Nylon, a brief introduction

As most people know, nylon is a synthetic, intended to replace silk, that became popular during WWII when silk was scarce. I often wondered if the soldiers wore silk undies but really it was for parachutes and I expect silk was really difficult to get. Of course women still had to wear their stockings, soon to be called nylons, later to be called panty hose. I never got the attraction of those things. Silk on my bare legs, nice. Plastic polymers, yuck. So I got all sidetracked looking at synthetic fabrics and plastics. Did you know that there is a "Plastics Hall of Fame?"


OmMama & KraftyKatina said...

Thanks for posting more on fabric types! Can't wait for more on other kinds.

AK Kathy said...

And you can use panty hose to keep volcano dust out of your car engine!