Sunday, March 29, 2009

More on Fabrics:Nylon, a brief introduction


As most people know, nylon is a synthetic, intended to replace silk, that became popular during WWII when silk was scarce. I often wondered if the soldiers wore silk undies but really it was for parachutes and I expect silk was really difficult to get. Of course women still had to wear their stockings, soon to be called nylons, later to be called panty hose. I never got the attraction of those things. Silk on my bare legs, nice. Plastic polymers, yuck. So I got all sidetracked looking at synthetic fabrics and plastics. Did you know that there is a "Plastics Hall of Fame?"

2 comments:

OmMama and KraftyKatina said...

Thanks for posting more on fabric types! Can't wait for more on other kinds.
C

AK Kathy said...

And you can use panty hose to keep volcano dust out of your car engine!